Thursday, July 16, 2009

Library 2.0

After writing several papers and exploring the world of Web 2.0 and its library counterpart, Library 2.0, I am convinced that we are in the midst of a paradigm shift. We grew up in a world where information was solid and steady. Today's students see information as malleable and shifting. They see how they can control it and shape it. Is this a good thing? I don't know. I think part of it goes hand in hand with the cultural phenomenon that is also occuring that loosely defines "truth". Here I go getting philosophical!

I believe that we need to incorporate web 2.0 materials into the school library. I am so frustrated with middle school and high school teachers that assign poster assignments and A to Z books that must be created using paper and mixed media. I want to say, "Wake up!" You have students who have so many technological skills. Let them show you what they can do and maybe you will learn something as well.

How does this impact us in the elementary library? We have to initiate the change with our teachers and students. Show them what they can do! Find a willing cohort and dazzle the other teachers in that grade level with what our students are capable of. We are kidding ourselves if we think we have to understand it all to let the kids do it. They can figure it out ten times faster than we can. We just have to let go of our micromanagement and let them!

I introduced Animoto to my 4th grade book club this spring and they took off with it. Some of my non-readers who had joined for who knows what reason were blowing everyone else away with their presentations. My goal for this year is to press on, even when teachers tell me they don't have time to learn new things!

No comments:

Post a Comment