Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Facebook-Thing 8

I admit it. I'm a Facebook junkie! I set up my profile a little over a year ago and have almost 200 friends in my network now. I've reconnected with old high school friends, church youth group friends, college friends, former students, coworkers, you name it! I've organized them into groups. Very librarian of me, I'm sure! There is a lot of talk in the school arena about 'befriending" students and parents. I have ignored a few requests, but overall I've friended them. Why? Well, I feel like my life is relatively transparent. My first friends were those from church. I don't do things that I would be ashamed for others to see, so I'm not afraid of students seeing me in a compromising picture. To me, Facebook is all about the small town experience. It used to be that everyone knew your business if you lived in a small town. Maybe that keeps you from doing something you might regret later, or something that might get back to your parents. Facebook brings that same level of transparency or perhaps paranoia to our modern lives. I do feel like Facebook is a safer environment than My Space. I have my settings set so that only my friends can see my info and pictures. I really don't want the entire world knowing everything about me. This has also been a good way for me to keep up with my kids and their friends. Although, everynow and then I see something I wish I hadn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment